Google Allows Parler App to Return to the Play Store

Google allowed social networking site Parler to return to its Play Store on Friday, more than a year after it banned the platform popular with conservatives after the U.S. Capitol uprising.

Google removed the Parler app from its online marketplace just days after the deadly January 6, 2021 US government headquarters attack, saying it allowed “blatant content” that could spark more violence.

Parler has become a haven for far-right figures who say they have been censored by other social networks such as Twitter.

Spurred in part by online misinformation and violent rhetoric on sites like Parler, the Capitol attack was carried out by former President Donald Trump’s far-right supporters who sought to overturn the 2020 election results he lost to Joe. Biden.

According to Google, Parler was allowed to return to the Play Store after meeting requirements to remove offensive posts and block users who violate the app’s rules.

“All apps on Google Play that contain user-generated content must use robust moderation practices that prohibit inappropriate content,” a Google spokesperson said in response to an AFP inquiry.

“Apps may appear on Google Play provided they comply with the Play Developer Policy.”

According to Google, Parler has agreed to abide by the Play Store policies and has modified its Android mobile app to comply with its policies.

iPhone or iPad versions of the Parler app were also banned from the Apple App Store after the uprising.

But they were returned to their virtual shelves last year after updates aimed at curbing incitement to violence, Apple said at the time.

Parler claimed to have over 20 million users before being fired from Apple and Google’s online marketplaces.

Conservatives backing Trump’s attempt to undo his electoral defeat have instigated a shift to alternative social media sites whose lax moderation policies have allowed disinformation to flourish.

Previous Post

Thai Red Bull heir still at large ten years after fatal Ferrari crash

Next Post
Taiwanese sailors walk in front of a frigate as President Tsai Ing-wen inspects troops on the Penghu islands amid high tensions with Beijing
Blog

US approves $1.1 billion arms deal to Taiwan, angering China

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *