Liz Truss won the race for prime minister

Liz Truss won the race for prime minister

New British Prime Minister Liz Truss. Source: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and MP The Honorable Elizabeth Truss, CC SA 3.0.

Liz Truss has become Britain’s next prime minister after winning the Conservative Party leadership contest on Monday.

Truss, the hawkish foreign minister, received 57 percent of the Conservative Party vote, defeating Rishi Sunak, the former Chancellor of the Exchequer, with 43 percent of the vote.

Truss, 47, will take over the country tomorrow after months of rows plunged Boris Johnson’s administration into crisis and forced him to resign.

This makes her the fourth British Prime Minister in six years and the third female leader after Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May. Like them, she will face a terrible series of problems.

As the new prime minister, Truss will also inherit a cost-of-living crisis, the aftermath of Brexit, a war in Europe, and falling support for the Conservatives in the polls.

“We need to show that we will achieve results over the next two years. I will present a bold plan to cut taxes and grow our economy,” Truss said after the announcement of the results, RIA Novosti reports. Reuters.

“I will overcome the energy crisis, deal with people’s energy bills, and also solve long-term problems related to energy supply.”

Truss stepped out of a crowded field of eight candidates by addressing party members with a purposeful message of tax cuts and government cuts. These are the reliable touchstones of the Tory Party, according to The newspaper “New York Times, but some economists said her proposals would do little to solve Britain’s problems and might even make them worse.

Boris Johnson will formally begin the transition of power tomorrow, visiting Queen Elizabeth in Scotland for the first time to formally tender his resignation. Truss will follow him and the monarch will ask him to form a government.

Kwasi Kwarteng, widely regarded as her finance minister, tried to calm the markets on Monday, saying in a Financial Times article that the Truss would require “some fiscal easing” but that her administration would act “in a financially responsible way.”

Previous Post
California power grid takes a hit due to extreme heat
Blog

California power grid takes a hit due to extreme heat

Next Post

Prime Minister of Ukraine visited Berlin in search of new weapons

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *