Man burned to death at Minnesota brewery earns $56 million

A Saint Paul, Minnesota man who badly scalded himself with hot water while working at a local brewery is set to receive $56 million in damages and interest after filing a lawsuit six years ago.

This week, a Ramsey County jury awarded DeWarren Harris over $35 million after it was found that Summit Brewing Company and the pressure washer hose makers were negligent. Harris, 33, scrubbed the floor of a warehouse at the St. Paul in May 2014 when the connector on the hose he was using failed and 180-degree water poured out.

Harris suffered burns over 40 percent of his body and spent about six weeks in the hospital.

A jury in Harris’ personal injury lawsuit placed 85 percent of the responsibility for the incident on the hose manufacturer, Continental ContiTech and Campbell, with the remaining 15 percent on Summit.

Harris is also set to receive another $21 million in interest that has been accumulating since the original lawsuit was filed in 2016, his lawyer Bruce Rivers told the Star Tribune.

“He’s just living in incredible pain,” Rivers said Thursday. “The kid just went through hell and it’s so great that we can give him a breather. He had nightmares for over a year.”

Rivers said Harris could be paid in full before the end of the year. However, any appeal of the verdict will suspend the payment.

Copyright 2022 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Was this article valuable?


Here are some more articles you might like.

Newsletter

Do you want to be in the know?

Get the latest insurance news
sent directly to your inbox.

Previous Post
Ex-Raider Ruggs Trial Over Fatal Vegas Crash Trial Postponed
Blog

Ex-Raider Ruggs Trial Over Fatal Vegas Crash Trial Postponed

Next Post
NTSB and FAA agree to lead space accident investigation
Blog

NTSB and FAA agree to lead space accident investigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *