The Ukrainian military has released rare footage of their counterattacks against Russian troops in the eastern regions. The footage shows three Ukrainian soldiers slowly advancing on Russian troops before being fired upon. The video shows how one of the soldiers fires at Russian troops with a machine gun. Later, the 5th Separate Air Assault Regiment used automobile missile systems for long-range shelling of Russian troops in the Donetsk region. They then take cover in a makeshift trench, strategizing their way forward in the region, and then pass through a local town abandoned by Russian troops.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky praised his country’s counterattacks in the country’s east on Friday.
Mr. Zelenskiy, who visited the newly liberated city of Izyum, praised the speed of the attacks and called for more Western weapons to build on those gains.
But he added that it was still “too early to talk about the end of this war” as Russian President Vladimir Putin showed no interest in retreating.
Speaking at a Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit and publicly discussing the war for the first time since Ukraine crushed Russian troops in the Kharkiv region last week, Putin threatened to hit Ukrainian infrastructure and said: “We will see how (Ukraine’s counteroffensive) ends.”
He also accused the West of wanting to destroy Russia and said he had brought Russian military forces into Ukraine in February to prevent this.
As Ukrainian forces reclaim territory in the east, areas that have been lost to Russia for months, officials say they are discovering mass graves and new evidence of Russian war crimes.
On Friday, Zelenskiy accused Russia of torture and war crimes in northeastern Ukraine and compared the consequences in the reclaimed areas to Russia’s withdrawal from Kyiv a few months ago.
In an interview with the presidential administration, he said that many Ukrainians were buried in the northeast, including entire families and those who were tortured.
READ ALSO: Russia has a “broken back” in a key Ukrainian region [INSIGHT]
“To date, 450 people have been buried. But there are other, separate burials of many people. Exhausted people. Entire families in certain areas,” he said.
Asked if there was evidence of war crimes, he said: “It’s all there. Investigation commissions with international partners, joint investigation commissions.
“There is some evidence and assessments are being made, Ukrainian and international, and it is very important for us that the world recognizes this.”
Russia regularly denies attacks on civilians during the so-called “special military operation” in Ukraine and has said in the past that accusations of human rights violations are a smear campaign.
DO NOT MISS: Greece will send 40 amphibious combat vehicles to Ukraine [REVEAL]
Kremlin insurgency grows in Russia as more calls are made for Putin to step down [REPORT]
“The Russian economy is about to collapse – Putin is finished” [REVEAL]